1/2 lb young unripe jack fruits cut to small square
3 tbs Coconut oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 small red onion , finely chopped
3 fresh green chilies finely chopped
1 medium size tomato finely chopped
3 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
2 tbsp coarse kolhapuri masala
Canola oil for deep frying
Salt to taste
1. Pour oil to a depth of 2 to 3 inches into a wok, dutch oven, or medium size saucepan.
Heat the oil over medium heat until a candy. Gently add the jack fruit into the oil. When
fruit will initially make the oil spatter and bubble, then it will subside. Fry gently, turning
occasionally, until the piece are light honey brown about -6 minutes, and remove them with
on to the paper towels.
2. Heat the Coconut oil in a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in the
cumin seeds and cook until they sizzle, turn reddish brown, and are aromatic 8-10 seconds,
immediately add the onion and chilies. Stir fry until the onions is light brown.
3. Add the tomato, 2 tbsp of cilantro, the masala,and the salt. Lower the heat to medium and
cook, uncovered,stirring occasionally, until the tomato has softened but is still firm looking,
about 5 minutes.
4. Pour in 1 cup water and add the fried jack fruit. Heat the curry to a boil. Then reduce the
heat to medium low, cover the pan, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the jack fruit is
fork-tender, 20-30 minutes.
5. Stir remaining cilantro and serve.