1/2 tsp turmeric
1 lb skinless thilapia fillets
4 pieces dried black kokum
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tbsp coconut oil
4 cloves garlic,thinley sliced
3 Fresh green chili cut lengthwise
1 cup fresh Coconut milk
3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves
1. Sprinkle the turmeric over both sides of the fillets, rubbing it in.
Refrigerate,covered, for at least 30 minutes, to allow the s piece
to flavor and color the fillets.
2. Combine the kokum and the boiling water in a small heatproof bowl,
and let it steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Then squeeze the kokum pieces
to extract all their tart goodness. Discard the skin and reserve the
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fillets
and sear them on both side until barely browned, about 1 minute
per side. Transfer the fish to a plate.
4. Add the garlic and chilies to the skillet and stir-fry, scarping the
bottom to release any browned bit of fish, until the garlic is light
brown around the edges, about 1 minute.
5. Pour in the coconut milk and stir in the purplish- brown kokum liquid.
6. Return the fish to the skillet. Continue to boil the curry, uncovered,
spooning the sauce over the fillets, until they are starting to flake,
3 to 5 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.