- Wash rice well and drain it.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan and fry onion until golden, add spices and drain rice.
- Fry, stirring with slotted metal spoon, for 5 minutes over a moderate heat.
- Add hot stock and salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover pan tightly with lid and cook for 15 – 20 minutes without lifting lid.
- At end of cooking time, uncover and allow steam to escape for 5 minutes.
- Gentle fluff up rice with a fork, removing whole spices.
- When transferring rice to a serving dish, again use a slotted metal spoon to avoid crushing grains of rice.
- Serve hot, accompanied by curries of meat and vegetables, pickles and sambols