3 tbsp fresh spinach leaves washed
250 whole wheat flour
salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chili
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Vegetable oils to deep frying
1. Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water, refresh in cold water and drain again. Place in a food
processor or blender with the ginger and grind to a fine paste.
2. Sift together the flour, salt and chili powder and then rub in the ghee. Add the spinach and ginger paste
and the cumin seeds and mix well. Add enough water and kneat well to form a soft dough. Set aside for
3. Knead again and divide into 20 equal parts. Shape into round balls and then flatten into round discs
7.5 cm (3in) in diameter.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan until the temperature reaches 190 °C. Reduce the
heat to very low and fry the puris one at a time ensuring they’ puff up’
4. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.